[Biococoa-dev] More on BCSymbolSets

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 3 20:12:29 EST 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 1:25 AM, Charles PARNOT wrote:

> There are probably more basic questions that I am missing. After
> answering the design questions, we can move to the details of the
> implementations.

I already made some changes, the symbolsets are now singletons, as
discussed earlier.

Other things that come to mind:

* when using a symbolset in the initializer, which method should be the
designated initializer?

My preference would be to make the initWithString:usingSymbolSet: the
designated initializer. This is probably the most common case. When
using an array of symbols, the symbolset is already known from the
original sequence, so that one can be used. If no symbolset is used,
the code in sequencetypefromstring can be used to determine what the
symbolset should be.

* do we still need the 'skippingunknownsymbols' flag?

I would say no. I cannot think of a situation when that flag will be
NO.  And also using a symbolset will filter these out.