[Biococoa-dev] can't compile framework

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 20:32:49 EST 2005

On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Philipp Seibel wrote:

> I want to start with the BCAlignment stuff and there are many things
> to discuss:
>
> 1. what exactly do we want an BCAlignment to be ?
> 	A slim Datastructure for different Alignment algorithms
> 	Or a comfortable datastructure, which is perhaps not very useful for
> programs concentrating on performance

Although I have not much experience with alignments, I would suggest
that we go for the first option. If programmed cleverly, it should
allow for expansion to more sophisticated calculations. This expansion
can be done within BioCocoa, or by the user of the framework.

> 2. We need a BCMatrix (protocol or class) for substitution matrices

Could you please explain this in a littile more detail? My
understanding of alignment calculations is that these are very
complicated and need a lot of processing power (correct me if I am
wrong). Therefore we should consider using C directly, without much
overhead of ObjC classes.