[Biococoa-dev] Optimizations

Alexander Griekspoor a.griekspoor at nki.nl
Wed Mar 16 13:13:39 EST 2005

On 16-mrt-05, at 1:29, John Timmer wrote:
>> Where do you want to use an NSSet, as a return value for findSequence?
>> The advantage of the array is that the found sequences are in the
>> 'right order'.
>>

> Sorry for my lack of clarity.  Shark says that over 30% of the
> execution
> time in the "findSequence" method is spent checking whether one symbol
> represents another.  Currently, that's done by checking whether the
> submitted symbol occurs in the array of represented symbols.
> According to
> the docs, making the represented symbols a set instead of an array will
> speed this up significantly.

It would make sense to turn the representedsymbols as a NSSet, there's
no specific order to keep in mind, so go ahead. Be careful though how
to implement this in combination with the aminoacid template plist we
use. I don't believe NSSet can be used directly in a plist, so you
perhaps have to do the conversion from the array you get from the
plist...

                       AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                       E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                    Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

MacOS X: The power of UNIX with the simplicity of the Mac