[Biococoa-dev] Optimizations

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Wed Mar 16 19:25:26 EST 2005

> On Mar 16, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Alexander Griekspoor wrote:
>
>> It would make sense to turn the representedsymbols as a NSSet, there's
>> no specific order to keep in mind, so go ahead. Be careful though how
>> to implement this in combination with the aminoacid template plist we
>> use. I don't believe NSSet can be used directly in a plist, so you
>> perhaps have to do the conversion from the array you get from the
>> plist...
>>

> Or maybe we should make it into a BCSymbolSet? The we can just pass a
> NSString of symbolChars to create the set.

Maybe - I'll look into it.  It depends on how deeply into the class
structure I'd have to dig.  If it turns out that I'd have to dig into every
subclass's initialization code to do this, I'll probably just make an NSSet
a private ivar so as not to disrupt everything we have working.

If all the code I'd need to tweak is in the superclass, then replacing it
with a SymbolSet should be okay, although it does have an expense in terms
of overhead and the ability of people to follow through our code.  I'll try
to spend some time on it tomorrow.

JT