[Biococoa-dev] WWDC 2005 BioCocoa meeting

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Mon May 30 15:09:46 EDT 2005

On May 30, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Charles PARNOT wrote:

> - the tools: BioPerl is a lot about wrapping the plethora of existing
> CLI tools for biology; is this what we want to do too? it does not
> look like it, but this is worth discussing maybe; it seems from the
> mailing list and what people are doing is that we want to integrate
> some of the most common algorithms in the code (alignments, digests,
> sequence searches,...). However, do we still want to provide an
> interface to other more specialized tools, or is it not the point of
> BioCocoa? or something in the far future?

Good points, Charles. Hope you can make it into the meeting.

Another important point I just thought of after reading Charles' mail.
We need to think of some good arguments why users want to use BioCocoa
instead of eg BioPerl or BioJava. Both are already very advanced, and
work on OS X, so why would a user want to jump into a very early
BioCocoa? Of course, it is a Cocoa/ObjC framework, so it's very easily
to implement into native programs. However, as we already have
discussed, because we stuff everything in NSObject subclasses, we add
quite some overhead. Maybe this is also an issue to discuss at WWDC.