[Biococoa-dev] BCSequenceCluster

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 8 09:14:35 EDT 2005

On Oct 8, 2005, at 12:20 AM, Charles Parnot wrote:

> The conceptual differences are quite small, and I think to make the
> framework really taste like Cocoa, it has to have a simple
> interface. In fact, this is really the essence of what I was
> wondering about. How many classes do we need for all these related
> concepts? Is one enough?
>
> Regarding the implementation, I would tend to prefer using gaps,
> because we already have the BCSymbol, we can easily generate
> sequences without them (good suggestion, Peter), and it is easy to
> use for display, comparisons,... On the other hand, using offsets
> renders some task like "get the symbols at position 827 of all the
> sequences" a bit hard (basically trading off simplicity and speed
> for data compression). But in the end, I would be happy with any
> implementation, as long as it works, particularly because I am
> probably not going to be doing much of it!!
>
> so, just one class??

Let's at least start with one class. We could then either subclass
them, or write categories for them to extend the various
functionalities.

One thing that occurred to me, are we concerned about the order of
the sequences? Otherwise we could use a set instead of an array, and
create a BCSequenceSet class (I also like that name :)  It also fits
nice in the framework: BCSymbol <-> BCSymbolSet, and BCSequence <->
BCSequenceSet.

cheers,