[Biococoa-dev] New goodies - BCStandaloneReader

Alexander Griekspoor a.griekspoor at nki.nl
Fri Mar 3 05:08:12 EST 2006

Thanks Koen!

> Good news! The classes you submitted are a great extension of the
> current reader class, although it would fit BioCocoa better in the
> way the framework is currently setip, so that each method returns a
> BCSequenceArray instead of NSDictionary. I can go ahead this
> weekend and add it to BioCocoa in that form.
Definitely, the reason to do it like this was to have a standalone,
simple, version of the Reader classes only if you only need the
simple file to string features. But yes, it would be great to have it
use the BCSequence classes of course. The only real change I made was
to make the app pass just the filename instead of the raw ASCII text
of the file already extracted like in Peter's original
implementation. The reason is the fact that I have now added to
binary file formats, which need the filename, not the ASCII text.
Anyway it's a better separation of code, with the app not having to
care about anything else than the filepath, and the framework doing
the rest.

> Peter, did we switch to svn, or was that only an announcement that
> it is available?
That was my reason to leave it up to you guys ;-) Still, it would
perhaps be nice to give a place to the standalone reader classes as
well on the server.

> And thanks for the compliments of the textview, I'm glad it's of
> use in at least one other app that I know of.
Great, in that case I can tell you that your user base tripled ;-)
It's now used by 4Peaks, iRNAi, and EnzymeX ;-)

                   AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                  E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
               Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

               4Peaks - For Peaks, Four Peaks.