[Biococoa-dev] Re: Subversion proposal

Charles Parnot charles.parnot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 16:41:19 EST 2006

Sorry, I seem to spread confusion...

I would not make BCStandalone part of the Trunk. Trunk should only
contain the files that are actually really part of the Xcode project,
otherwise that would be confusing. Also, BCStandalone is not
conceptually code that belongs to the Trunk: it is not code that is
being worked on for the next version of BioCocoa (instead, some of
the code might be merged into the trunk). The trunk should only
contains code for version 2.0. Alex's stuff definitely belongs to the
"Tags" directory, as being a "frozen" version of some side project. I
am not sure we should modify that independent code too much, but if
we do, we would start a branch (Branch 1.x). But again, it is
probably not something we should do. Instead, we would merge the
useful code in the Trunk, where it belongs, and go from there (e.g
KDTExtView --> svn copy into Trunk/BCAppKit/BCTExtView).

I think the way a subversion layout is supposed to be organized is:

* Trunk = only the latest version = BioCocoa future 2.0

* Tags = finished versions, one directory per version; for instance,
"BioCocoa 1.6" should be one such directory; the contents of the
"Tags" directory is never modified, only new directories added for
each new version (this is just a convention, of course; the "Tags"
directory does not magically prevent modifications; only by
convention, you should never commit a new version of a file in the
Tags directory)

* Branches = if one wants to update an older version, a branch can be
created; for instance, we may want a "BioCocoa 1.x" branch if we want
to modify BioCocoa 1.6 and be able to commit changes, until it is
stable and reaches "1.7"... at which point we use svn copy to add a
directory to the "Tags". Just in case some of you don't know how svn
works: making a svn-copy of a full directory does not create any
files; it is merely creating an pointer to that version and not using
any disk space. It is a very easy to create regular snapshots of the
code as things go along, with numbers, e.g. "BioCocoa 2-beta1",
"BioCocoa 2-beta2", "BioCocoa 2-beta3",...

Besides that, your email makes sense. The other confusion I spread
was that to me, BioCocoa 1.7 = version following BioCocoa 1.6, which
should be your code updated with the new BCReader code, and maybe
including Alex's AppKit stuff, all in the Tags directory.

The bottom line is: somebody interested in using stable code, would
go in the Tags, and pick which version she wants, and check out that
version. Somebody interested in development would check out the Trunk
and work on the latest version. Somebody interested in merging the 2
would check out both, and copy/paste codes between the 2. Or, in the
case of KDTextView, use svn-copy to get the code from the BioCocoa
1.7 tag into the trunk, with its new name BCTextView.

I hope I explained things better, this time!

charles