[Biococoa-dev] biococoa svn and everything

Scott Christley schristley at mac.com
Wed Sep 12 16:35:50 EDT 2007

That's the great thing about open source projects, they can sleep for
awhile then wake up!  :-)

I'm currently in the process of integrating code for a paper I
submitted to BMC Bioinformatics journal for finding ultraconserved
elements; I've been making changes so that the code is more flexible
and can be used for other analysis.  The pieces I'm putting in are:

BCCachedSequenceFile, some classes for handling very large sequence
files, i.e. whole genomes, by not reading in the whole sequence into
memory, but cache meta-data then read from the sequence file when
sequence data is needed.

BCSuffixArray, implements a suffix array data structure, a memory
efficient structure that allows for string matching operations.

BCMCP, this uses BCSuffixArray and BCCachedSequenceFile to perform
the ultraconserved analysis which is essentially looking for longest
common substrings across the whole genome for multiple organisms.

I have some gene expression related classes that I worked on a few
months ago; some utility stuff like downloading data from NCBI GEO
and parsing the SOFT file format, but I need to clean it up before
committing it.  I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this as it
seems that R/Bioconductor is the main toolkit to use for statistical
analysis of gene expression.

One of my interests is whole genome comparative analysis, so I intend
to keep using BioCocoa and adding code to it; hopefully others find
it useful!

cheers
Scott