[Biococoa-dev] BCCachedSequenceFile

Scott Christley schristley at mac.com
Mon Sep 24 12:20:36 EDT 2007

The meta-data is essentially just information about the sequences in
the file, so it is standard BCAnnotation stuff like the sequence
identifier, but it is also info that BCCachedSequenceFile needs to
work, like where does each sequence start in the file, how long is
the sequence, etc.  Then it can calculate a position directly into
the file, and read the data from disk.  This meta-data is internal to
the concrete implementation class, BCCachedFastaFile, as the type of
information needed to be stored may be different from file format to
file format.

So the design I was thinking of is BCCachedSequence would have a
reference to its BCCachedSequenceFile, then when it needs data, it
asks BCCachedSequenceFile for the data from disk.  The difficulty is
that many of the BCSequence methods perform operations or return data
on the complete sequence, which is difficult when you cannot read the
whole sequence in memory because it is cached on disk ...

cheers
Scott