[Biococoa-dev] BioCocoa license

Scott Christley schristley at mac.com
Tue Oct 28 15:39:33 EDT 2008

Greetings all,

I have been working with a Debian group to get BioCocoa included as a
standard Debian package.  One of the things that needs to be resolved
is the license for BioCocoa.

There is both a Copying.txt which has GPL V2 and license.txt which has
Creative Commons BT-SA-2.5, but all the source code files seem to
mention that they are covered by creative commons.  Am I correct in
assuming that BioCocoa was originally under the GPL, but it was
decided to move to creative commons?

Also, many of the file mention the copyright held by "The BioCocoa
Project".  I've been following that convention with the new files I
create.  However, The BioCocoa Project is not a legal entity, like a
real non-profit organization, is that right?  If that is the case, I
think it would be more appropriate that individual authors held
copyright to files.  We cannot assign copyright to a virtual entity,
and to be truly legal we would need legal documents from each author,
which is a pain.  I think we can have an Authors.txt file which lists
all the contributors as a way of recognition.

Here are all the authors I could pull out from the source code files,
am I missing anybody?

Koen van der Drift
Alexander Griekspoor
Philipp Seibel
John Timmer
Peter Schols
Scott Christley

Lastly there are some files mentioning Mekentosj.com and require that
"credit is given in all documents and publicity".  This requirement
isn't going to fly with Linux distributions because in theory they
would have to add this to their website, etc. etc.  Can this
restriction be removed?  I don't think that these files are actually
being compiled right now but they are in the source.

thanks
Scott