[Biodevelopers] Another point of discussion: XML

Jeffrey Chang jchang at smi.stanford.edu
Fri May 3 14:08:02 EDT 2002

On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 07:08  AM, Joe Landman wrote:

>   I am thinking of trying a python server here, as python should have
> somewhat better threading, and I have been looking for a good excuse to
> play with it.  Does anyone have opinions as to the quality of SOAP or
> XML implementation in Python?  It is very good in Perl, and I would like
> to know if there is a similar broad level of support in Python.

During the biohackathon in January, I worked on getting Python access to
the XEMBL databases via SOAP.  I needed a WSDL parser that could parse
the XEMBL specification and create the proper SOAP requests.  I got hold
of one parser (hosted at ActiveState?), but it was not able to parse the
specification.  I don't believe it was a problem with the specs, because
perl handled the same WSDL file fine.  My conclusion at the time was
that I would have to manually go through the WSDL file and generate the
proper SOAP requests by hand.

Jeff