[Biodevelopers] XML Standardization?

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu at mayo.edu
Mon Jan 13 14:54:16 EST 2003

Thought I would put my 2 cents...

XML Schema extends the capabilities of DTD's.  Specifically, it provides for:

Integration with namespaces
Definition of in complete constraints on the content of an element type
Integration of structural schemas with primitive data types
Inheritance (which promotes reuse) (not fully implemented though)
Uses XML itself as the schema language.

This link (http://www.daml.org/language/features.html) also has some other comparisons, and http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/schemas.html has lots more information (as well as the w3c, http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema)

-Mat