[Biodevelopers] Re: Proposal for creation of algorithm repository

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Mar 20 15:08:11 EST 2003

Anyone wishing to help with the repository project may want to help with
the modification of the SourceForge-based groupware here at
Bioinformatics.Org.  The SF system is of course very much tuned to
software development projects, managing such things as module releases,
CVS, bug tracking, etc.  It doesn't make much sense to use these all of
these resources for projects not related to software development:
education, research, and repositing materials and methods.

The first things to do to address this problem (how to manage things
other than software development) is to modularize the SF groupware
somewhat.  The simplest way to do that is to allow group administrators
to turn on and off the different resources, according to what they need
and don't need.  This can be a implemented by having a number of check
buttons on the admin page and storing in the database whether a project
uses a resource or not.  If the admin checks a button, that resource
will be available to others working in the group and be visible to the
visitors of the website.  For a group that is repositing an algorithm,
as an example, the only resource to "turn on" may be Wiki.

The SourceForge-based groupware at Bioinformatics.Org is based on PHP
and MySQL (later versions of SF use DB2 and are commercial).  In
addition to the modification mentioned above, we do need to add a Wiki
system (preferably PHP-based).  Anyone with the interest and necessary
skills to help with this, please contact me (jeff at bioinformatics.org).
*PLEASE*, contact me *ONLY* if you can commit the time required to see
this through.  This would mean hours of (largely independent) work on
our development server.

BTW, the modification of our SF system to create repositories is
something we've been planning on for a while.  We've been hoping to use
it for a package repository (BioPkg) as well as repositories for open
access publications and educational material.  So, we might as well use
it for algorithms too.

Cheers.
Jeff

J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff at bioinformatics.org
President, Bioinformatics.Org       http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
                    -- Benjamin Franklin