[Biodevelopers] Re: [Bioclusters] how are the Redhat product changes affecting existing and future plans?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Nov 4 11:44:12 EST 2003

Cluster OSes range from pre-packaged/pre-bundled to roll-your-own.  The
roll-your-own crowd will continue to roll their own if they have the
time/inclination.  Commercial and production sites tend to prefer the
packaged ("who can we call for support") variety due to the inherent
risks in one-off type distributions.

So I see several possible directions on the pre-packaged side:

1) Open source cluster OS distros
2) Customized "Consumer" distros
3) Commercial distros

On the open source distro side, we have ROCKS going to RHEL 3 recompiled
without RedHat logos.  Not sure about support for this, but Glen Otero
of Callident might be able to talk about commercial support of this.
OSCAR is available, and should work across a number of distributions
(RH, SUSE, etc).  I see Warewulf as another quite intriguing
possibility.  Then there are the Clustermatic tools from Sandia and
other similar "one-offs" to handle specific problems for their end
users.  Not usually broadly applicable.

On the customized distro side, most folks seem likely to use SUSE/RH as
these have the largest installed base, someone to complain to if stuff
doesnt work.  Commercial codes are usually tested against RH and SUSE,
so this gives you some assurances that it will work.  The customized
route is somewhat more dangerous/daunting in that the support model is
ill defined except for the xCAT distro.  There are few big companies
backing the distribution method, installation method, etc.

On the commercial side, you have things like Scyld and CLIC.  Scyld is
probably not the best for a biocluster, as it makes some assumptions on
the interconnect.  CLIC is based upon Mandrake, and past experience with
that distro personally drove me to other distros.  My problems had been
with devfs, which is simply not stable enough to be used in a production
environment.  Crashes with devfs go from merely annoying to spectacular
in the amount of collateral damage.  Happily devfs is out (deprecated)
as of 2.6 kernel.  Sure, some will point out that the problem that it
solves is an important one.  Agreed.  The implementation was terrible
though, and the damage experienced was breathtaking.

Many choices, little time.

Given their good support of the x86_64, and the seemingly higher quality
of  beta experience, I am leaning towards the SUSE system at this time.
Probably between RH WS and SUSE for most installs.  Customer dependent
of course, but I don't like support suprises.  Given RH's ambivalence
towards XFS, this will likely be biased in favor of  SUSE.  On top of
SUSE, I will be trying OSCAR and Warewulf.

Joe