[Biodevelopers] Re: Biodevelopers digest, Vol 1 #164 - 2 msgs

Allen Henry allen_777 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 14:49:10 EDT 2003

After my long look last year, I concluded that it
depends. :-)

If you have the Biology background, it will be easier
to get accepted into a Bioinfo program that falls
under a Medical school. And the Bioinfo will follow
Medical school rankings: Stanford, Harvard, Yale,
etc...

If on the other hand, you have the Math background you
will find it easier to get accepted into a Bioinfo
program that falls in the Math/CS school. And these
are likewise ranked: MIT, Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon,
etc...

If you actually want the best education you will not
apply to the school where you have the easiest chance
of getting accepted, and will pursue the CS/Math heavy
programs if you have the Biology background, and
visa-versa.

For example, here in the SF area, there are several
programs. UC Santa Cruz's Bioinfo is still under the
CS department and thus is very good in this regard.
Stanford has a program that's in their Med School,
which moves about 10 times faster/harder than UCSC.

Berkeley's new program has attracted some top notch
researchers and professors, but still leans heavily in
the Mol Bio direction. UC Davis, on the other hand,
has a program that draws upon it's existing top-notch
schools: Agriculture, Medical, Math (in that order).
Oregon State has a program that I particularly like
because of my background: Environmental Studies.

So it really depends on what your specialty is. Follow
the best program for that particular field, and I
don't think you can go wrong.

Hope this helps

=====

Al Henry (408) 799-9404 cell

allen_777 at yahoo.com

"Any fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a
lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction. "
  - Albert Einstein