[Biodevelopers] RDBMS vers new data model

thorsten.ries at tudor.lu thorsten.ries at tudor.lu
Thu Apr 22 09:44:50 EDT 2004

Hello Guenther,

> Hi Hari,
> What kind of warehousing are you thinking of? I would be very interested
> =20
> discuss this topic since we made lots of experience in this field using
> tgres.

What kind of warehouse were you testing and what is your experience with

> I think one of the biggest challenges in this field is not the use of
> but the development AND maintenance of a proper data model. Without a=20
> decent model the database is nothing but a fancy file system (in extreme
> rds).

That's exactly my opinion too! It less than optimal to adapt the special
properties of biological data to a RDBMS. Instead a global view will be
necessary to develop a new kind of a data model combined with an adapted
Information Retrieval or Data mining, Storage layer,...  to fulfil the
biological needs.

Do you have already an idea, where to go?