[Biodevelopers] cluster analysis

Sunil Raj Prasad S99007386 at student.usp.ac.fj
Tue Feb 17 01:29:19 EST 2004

Dear Sir,

I am a post graduate student at the University of the South Pacific
doing my Master of Science in Conservation Biology. I am studying the
leaf litter invertebrates to assess their representativeness in the
network of forest reserves in Fiji.

I extract the invertebrates and then sort them into different
morphospecies based on their morphological characteristics such as
absence or presence of body hair, its shape and density, body size,
segment shape and size, etc.

I want to systematically categorise my sites based on the similarity
index (Jaccards index) of the sites. I am not interested in performing a
cladistic analysis but want to subdivide my sites into different
biological provinces based on my morphospecies data. I also want to get
a dendograph which clusters all the similar sites. Can you please help
me by pointing me in the right direction as to which software program
can do this? I have been browsing the internet but can not find a
suitably priced software which can use do a simple cluster analysis
instead of phylogentic analysis.

I would be really appreciate it if you could provide me some assistance.
Please do contact me if you have any other queries.

Sunil Raj Prasad,
GA Conservation Biology,
Biology Department, SPAS,
University of the South Pacific,