[Biodevelopers] RDBMS and Bioinformatics

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 13:19:49 EST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Patrick McConnell wrote:

> I think some types of data are better represented by XML.  For example,
> hierarchical data.  Also, document-oriented data is better stored as XML.
> For example, a scientific article that has been marked up with useful
> information.  Storing and indexing something like "<Author>John
> Doe</Author> used a <ScientificTechnique>microarray</ScientificTechnique>
> to do blah" would be very complicated in a relational database.
>
> Am I wrong?

No, of course you are not wrong, but the thing is that you could do the
above in an RDB, and (if you do it right) the data model is very clear,
the data is normal it is easy to search and integrate, easy to make tab
delimited dumps of, and best of all you have internal constraints on the
data. The query system is (or can be) optimal, because of the sound maths
underneath. I still agree with your point though...

The idea of markup is truely powerfull. I had forgotten that XML is a
markup language! You are absolutely right that documents don't fit RDB
well. Also, while hierarchical data is very easy and just as flexible, XML
is more intuativly hierarchical, while RDB stores an abstract hierarchy
which is not easy to query.

Still, I would be more in favour of developing hierarchical indexes for
SQL to allow better querying features (i.e. an sql native tree data
type?), and semantic markup languages like DAML, while never using XML
object models / object DB / X-pah etc.

Cheers,
Dan.