[Biodevelopers] RE: Subcellular loaclization - Biodevelopers Digest, Vol 8, Issue 1

Jennifer Gardy jlgardy at sfu.ca
Thu Nov 24 12:54:46 EST 2005

Hi Ethan et al

I work on bacterial subcellular localization prediction, and at the
PSORT.org site that our group maintains (http://www.psort.org), you'll find
an extensive list of links to predictive tools for both prokaryotes and
eukaryotes.

There are multiple tools available for eukaryotic protein prediction, and of
the many choices I recommend Proteome Analyst
(http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/%7Ebioinfo/PA/Sub/index.html). It uses an
annotation keyword-based approach to prediction, wherein it finds homologs
to your query protein in SwissProt and passes keywords from the homologs'
SwissProt entries to a machine learning-based classifier. I would also
recommend trying a few other methods and collating the results to form a
consensus prediction.

You can try using signal peptide-based methods, but you have to screen your
dataset and remove any membrane proteins beforehand, so these don't get
erroneously predicted as organellar.

BLASTing your sequences against a database of proteins with annotated
localization sites also works quite well - in PSORTb we carry out an
analysis using this technique, which requires a hit at an e value less than
e-10 and for the HSP region to span at least 80% of the length of the query
and the subject (avoiding matches to a single domain of a protein).

Hope that helps, and don't hesitate to drop me a line if you need any
further advice on the subject.

Cheers
Jenn
Jennifer Gardy, PhD Candidate