[Biodevelopers] Large protein strings when doing BLAST?

Theodore H. Smith delete at elfdata.com
Fri Nov 24 14:18:00 EST 2006

How large is a "large" protein string normally when doing BLAST?

Will do searches for protein strings say consisting of 32KB of
letters? Is there an upper limit? I suppose there is no real upper
limit, but there might be a tendency for proteins to rarely go above
a certain length... I am trying to design some hobbyist software in
biology and these sort of answers would really help my design. Excuse
my lack of biology background!