[Biodevelopers] Scoring matrixes, negative values for Y==Y?

Theodore H. Smith delete at elfdata.com
Mon Sep 4 12:28:25 EDT 2006

Is it possible for a matrix to contain a positive match for Y to Y?
Where Y could be any DNA letter or protein? Y could be A or B or C...
etc etc.

Normally, scores range from 0 and up, correct?

Are there matrixes in use that can have negative values for an exact
identity match?

What if a matrix had something like B to B had a score of -1, but W
to W had a score of 6.

Would such a matrix have any use?

I am just asking, because I'm writing some hobbyist bio-informatics
software, and... I'm basically learning as I go along, and I'd like
to eliminate this possibility if possible, because assuming it's not
possible would make it possible for me to write some simpler code.

--
http://elfdata.com/plugin/