[BioEdu] Welcome

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Mon Aug 7 19:07:00 EDT 2006

Greetings everyone!

We got 78 subscribers in the first 48 hours of this list's existence, which I
think is quite remarkable.  Maybe we should have done this a long time ago :-)

I'd just like to say what types of messages are appropriate for the list and
where it fits in with the others at Bioinformatics.Org.  As I mentioned in the
announcement, BioEdu is for discussions about bioinformatics education in
general.  We'll therefore accept (all of our major mailing lists are fully
moderated) questions, announcements and discussions about anything related to
bioinformatics education.  These may include:

1. Questions from educators about developing a bioinformatics curriculum

2. Questions from (prospective) students about the availability and
appropriateness of educational programs in the field

On this note, I would like to mention Damian Counsell's famous FAQ, which lists
many programs around the world and advises on entering the field and
cross-training between allied disciplines:

   http://bioinformatics.org/faq/

3. Announcements about new courses and programs

The one type of post that we really don't want (other than spam), is one that
is related to a specific research or development topic that could be posted to
another mailing list.  Examples include, "How do I do X with Python?" and "How
do I find Y in a sequence?"  While any question, announcement or discussion
could have "educational value," we're actually trying to address education as
discipline or occupation, and all posts should be submitted with that in mind.

Additionally, our intention is to have 4 major forums at Bioinformatics.Org,
covering the 3 parts of our mission (research, development and education) and
everything in-between:

1. Bioinformatics.Org Bulletin Board (BiO BB): Est. 2000, covering the
"everything in-between":

   http://bioinformatics.org/lists/bio_bulletin_board

2. Biodevelopers (BioDev): Est. 2002, covering tool development topics

   http://bioinformatics.org/lists/biodevelopers

3. Bioeducators (BioEdu): (you know this one)

4. Bioresearchers (BioRes): (to come)

And, of course, we have other great forums for more specific topics, such as
cluster computing (Bioclusters) and molecular visualization (MolVis-List).

Cheers,
Jeff
--
J.W. Bizzaro
Bioinformatics Organization, Inc. (Bioinformatics.Org)
E-mail: jeff at bioinformatics.org
Phone:  +1 508 890 8600