[BioEdu] Lanuages and environments

Paulo Nuin nuin at genedrift.org
Wed Feb 14 16:48:09 EST 2007

Hi

I think this is a great discussion topic. In my opinion bioinformatics
is a little bit more lenient regarding computer languages than computer
science and business. You see bioinformatics applications in a variety
of languages (from Lisp to VB) and there is no prejudice from
users/developers in using different languages. On the "outside world"
you usually see the advocacy groups for certain languages and in
business you are usually tied to their programming standards, which is
usually tied to the end user needs.

 From my personal experience, I tried to learn as much as possible of
most of the languages I programmed in, and of course there are languages
that appeal more and others less. In my regular work, I currently use a
lot of C++, Python and bash scripts. I was never able to program in
Perl, and Java looks like a mess to me. Python has become a new
favourite for me, especially now that I am able to create nice
interfaces with it too.

My two cents.

Cheers

Paulo