[BioEdu] Lanuages and environments

Jose R. Valverde jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es
Thu Mar 8 12:15:25 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:27:15 -0600
<danaf at drfconsulting.com> wrote:
> I am working on a graduate Bioinformatics
> Certificate from the University of Illinois
> Chicago. I hope to complete the coursework
> in the Winter '07.
>
> I was wondering what languages and computer
> platforms I need to be experienced in to work
> in the field on the CS side. I would like to
> building these skills this year in anticipation
> of job hunting in Jan '08.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I have just finished the initial port to Moodle format of some
programming language courses taken off the Net. My plan is to use
these as blueprints for building better quality courses on top of
them.

Currently, they are in Spanish (save the one on C) but I'll translate
them as I find the time to work on them. My goal is to slowly build
a site with all the resources useful to work on Bioinformatics,
modularized so that people may come at any point and get the
knowledge they need. This will include Unix (for nor), several
programming languages, algorithms, programming techniques (NN, HMMs,
LAMP,...), tools (debuggers, SCM, profiles...) and coverage of
bioinformatics topics, both in English and Spanish, with materials
being publicly available for everybody to re-use. But that -for
now- is a long shot.

See
	http://bioportal.cnb.uam.es/eLearn/

just in case anyone cares.

	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural