[Biophp-dev] Seeking comments on CVS, XML, and other TLA's

biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 23:53:03 -0700

It's probably about time I figure out how to get CVS going - that means some
thought is called for at this point on how to structure things, at least
initially...

Every developer with their own subdirectory?  Broken up by purpose?  Some
combination?

Any thoughts?

And about XML:

I am at this point working with the NCBI BLAST query module and the EUtils
modules.  I have this feeling that I "ought" to be using the XML-parser
capabilities in PHP, but as I keep looking at it I keep thinking it's more
trouble than it needs to be.  For example, I have the ESearch module working
at a minimal but usable stage - it sends the search terms, retrieves the
results, and extracts the returned ID's.  The ID's are obtained with a single,
simple preg_match_all...

Anybody with experience using the SAX-type parser in the default builds of
PHP have an opinion of it?  Is it worth all the extra hassle to deal with
rather than using simpler regular expressions for most things?