[Biophp-dev] Bioinformatics.org's PHP

Dong Gregorio biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:51:08 +0800

Hi again.

>>| ago, so once we get to the point of having some sample programs
>>| running, they ought to work just fine.

Well, I have some rough programs ready.  Just give me access rights
so I can upload them.  Thanks.

>Simply put, I want to reduce to the minimum feasible the number of
>people who end up grumbling because they have to compile up PHP

Yes, I definitely agree. I'm one of those who (used to) grumble. =)

>I'm actively avoiding targeting either one - MY focus is on the CLI, >but with the notion that the classes be designed such that there's >no problem simply "pasting" them into a webpage when people want >to.  What I DON'T want to do is have everything focussed on web ?>pages - I think PHP's grown almost as far beyond "web page >processing" as Perl has grown beyond "generating reports" :-)

Personally, I think (Bio)PHP is better suited for web apps.  It
suffers from two limitations when it comes to developing (non-web) applications: 1) it falls short in its OO features, 2) it's a lot
slower than compiled languages like Java (although there is the
Zend PHP compiler, but its steep price is a definite turn off!).

Oh well, but that's just my opinion.

>be an issue - about the only thing that comes to mind is that I think
>if a class has a built in display/output function that generates >HTML there should also be one that generates the same information in >plain text (wherever this makes sense, at least).

Well, yeah, I suppose it should be able to do BOTH.

Check out the new EudoraMail at