[Biophp-dev] seqdb and seq classes in genephp

Serge Gregorio biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:02:13 +0800

Nico,

Just a quick note... yes, I got your attachment.  Will go
through it this weekend.  As for the seq and seqdb codes,
yes, the parser will have to be somehow attached to seq,
if we are to do a "quick or express parse" of any data
file.  As for the fate of seqdb, let's ask the opinion
of others first before "axe-ing it".

Admittedly, it's a lot easier importing the parsed data
into a relational database like MySQL or PostgreSQL than
writing our own flat file database managment system.

Where do you think we should put such code (that stores
parsed data into a MySQL database)?  I am not that comfy
about making it an official part of GenePHP/BioPHP as it
reflects a particular database structure/design.  (See
the sample MySQL database schema in the GenePHP site).

>> function parse_ANSI ()
>
>(Shouldn't that be "ASN.1"?)

Yes, that should be ASN.1.  Andres and I stand corrected. =)

Lately, I've been busy writing scripts that actually do
something useful like translating proteins in all six
reading frames, reverse translating a protein into its
nucleic acid counterparts, etc.  While it's admittedly
time-consuming, I am LEARNING A LOT about what needs to
be done with the existing code.  I've posted those demo
scripts at http://genephp.sourceforge.net/applist.html.

Kurt: Still haven't touched your code.  Been busy lately
(see above paragraph).   I've been to the Vector NTI
(Infomax?) site but I couldn't find any formal definition
or specification of their molecule document format, which
according to you, is supposed to be a superset of GenBank.

My only other concern here is, given Nicos' suggestion of
having a function that "AUTO-DETECTS" a file, how would
we then distinguish a Vector NTI file from a GenBank file
(given they have a lot of similarities)?

Sean: Where can I get/try out your eFetch code?  I've
visited your site but it says there "NO FILES AVAILABLE".
Am I missing something?

Regards,

Serge