[Biophp-dev] The humunguous IO class

Serge Gregorio biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:37:14 +0800

Nico,

Wonderful to hear you're making good progress!  I've been
doing a lot of thinking about the design and organization
of Gene/BioPHP and here's what I've come up with:

   http://genephp.sourceforge.net/genephp_design.html

I've also attached a code snippet from GenePHP 2.0's IO
class, in which the "parser class" you were mentioning
earlier are its methods.  The general idea here is that
people only use ONE AND ONLY ONE class to read/write
data from WHATEVER SOURCE (console, variable, file, SQL
DB, etc.) to WHATEVER DESTINATION.

Also, with this, I'd like to push your idea of auto-
detection of file format one step further.  Not only
will the IO class (thru its autodetect_IO() function)
detect the format used (e.g. GenBank, Swissprot), but
it will also detect WHAT KIND OF DATA (e.g. genephp
class) it contains or represents.

>It should actually not be very hard to write these
>things back to the appropriate file formats.

The IO class (or DataIO class if you prefer) should be
able to handle this also.  Just pass "W" (for "WRITE")
as the third argument.

I've also renamed the Seq class as XNA (or Xna) class,
which represents a DNA, RNA, cDNA, mRNA sequence, etc.
The Seq class will become a parent class of both Xna
and Protein, and will contain minimal attributes and
methods common to both sequences (e.g. id, seqlen(), etc.).
In practical use, a Seq object should map to a sequence in
FASTA format, while an Xna object maps to GenBank nucleic
sequence, a Protein object maps to a Swissprot or PDB
protein sequence, etc.

I'll also be introducing new classes like Enzyme, Ligand,
etc. to correspond to the CONCEPT MAP and BIO DATABASES
shown in the diagram at:

   http://genephp.sourceforge.net/genephp_design.html

What you guys think?  =)

Regards,