[Biophp-dev] mmCIF and Zend compiler

Serge Gregorio biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 17:47:55 +0800

Hello all.

>>Mini-Me: There are criticisms of PHP being >>unsuitable for computationally-intensive tasks >>because it is an interpreted language.  Do you think >>the Zend compiler is the answer to this?  Does it >>produce code whose speed is comparable to that >>produced by a C/C++ compiler?

>Nico: Yes, since it is code produces by a C >compiler.

Ah, now we can get down to serious comp. bio. stuff.  Fro some time, I've shied away from writing the more  computationally-intensive algorithms/modules knowing that it's not one of PHP's strengths.

But if what you're saying is true, then its "no holds barred, take no prisoners" from now on. =)

Oh, but first I'd have to raise the $ 2,000 to afford a copy of Zend. *chuckle*  Or are they giving it away now? *fingers crossed*

>Nico: B.t.w.  there is a nice (and free) accelerator >for php available (www.php-accelerator.co.uk/).  It >caches (compiled) php code on disk and in RAM. I have >it installed on our server and it works flawlessly.

Thanks for that tidbit.  I'll check it out pronto.

Btw, can anyone take a look at my MySQL scripts and
convert them to Pear or ADODB syntax?  You can find them here:

  http://genephp.sourceforge.net/mysql_dbscripts.html

While I've been using ADODB for some time (via Phakt), I've never really paid close attention to its (finer) syntax.  PEAR DB I haven't used much.

I'm thinking of extending the I/O demo scripts (see URL below) to generate SQL scripts (INSERTs) for data that have been parsed.

  http://genephp.sourceforge.net/io_set.html

Or to illustrate:

            Parse           SQL
Native format --> Data items --> INSERT SQL stmts
(GB, EMBL, etc)

Cheers!

Serge

Check out the new EudoraMail at