[Biophp-dev] introduce myself

biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 1 May 2003 14:45:22 +0200

hi there,

since i will be reading this maillinglist in the future id like to
introduce myself to u people:
i dwell in the southern blackforest in germany (gmt+1) in the beautiful city
of freiburg, where i spent my time at boring informatics seminars,
the university hospital (the place i work), at my computer, or on my skateboard
(please dont think of me baggy-panted, wearing a baseballcap wrongways.)
i started studying biology in 1998 and switched to informatics after
finishing the mid-term exams in 2001, because of the most boring
botany classes, which i could no longer endure.
a while ago i wrote a phpclass for procaryotic mRNA, that implemented
some basic methods like (get_stop/start_codon(s)(),find_protein_codon())
as a homework, that has again awaken some interest for genetics. But i have
to familiarize myself with the different DB-Standards and not to forget
freshen up my knowledge about genetics again %-)
the thing i like about php is definetely easy usage. when coding
c/perl/java (dont even ask about c++ or c#), i need the internet,
a book or at least header files, to get the thing running, where php
syntax is so much more predictable. and theres more to come: i'm most
curious about php5's oo.

best regards,
      frank

Please be patient im still re-learning (promoter? intron? repressor? banana?)
and excuse wrong usage of the english language.

----------------boring bio facts--------------------
like everyone else around that time i started with the commodore
flotilla (vc20/c64/c128) and basic. since my dad refused to buy an
amiga (guess why;) i got on the x86-track quite early, ending up with
some cheesy m$-dos3 commandline while my friends enjoyed "Stunt Car
Racer" in 4096 colors. so i learned pascal.
couple of years after i was moving out and faced the tragedy of
getting employed myself, programmer seemed the right choice because
i was always a fan of all kinds of puzzles, and physically incredibly lazy.
after some jobhopping i found a nice sysop job at the universityhospital
here in freiburg, where i use php for pagemaintaining and also it serves
me as interpreter for maintenance scripts on the windowsclients. At home
php serves  the same purpose, being an interpreter on my weenie and my
linux.
Now im 27 years old, and it seems to me, im one of those
never-to-graduate students.