[Biophp-dev] Release criteria

Nico Stuurman biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:32:07 -0700

>> As for the opening/closing the file stream issue, I guess
>> a safe compromise would be to give the user the choice of
>> whether the stream is perpetually open until explicitly
>> closed, or if it's closed automatically after reading the
>> data.  Again, it depends on how the user uses the parser
>> class.
>
> I think what we've got going now essentially does this - the
> filetype parsers will leave the source "open" if it was open to
> begin with (i.e. if a filehandle was passed) or close it if the
> source is an unopened filename.
>
> We COULD add a "doNotCloseSource()" method (or some more intuitive
> name :-) ) call and method for returning the still-open filehandle
> to the caller, but I don't know if it'll be worth the extra complexity.
> Thoughts?

Nahh, I don't like unnecessary added complexity.  Who is going to want
a file pointer that is at the end of the file and that was opened
within some obscure library code to remain open afterwards?  Just let
the application re-open the stream.  Keep things simple and
intuitive....  Let's stick to the plan.

Nico