[Biophp-dev] Fwd: BioPHP Project(s)

S Clark biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:34:24 -0600

This is a message Serge and I got from Jesus Castagnetto.  Neither minded
me posting it to the main list for discussion, so here it is.

The summary of the discussion of the issues so far (my own interpretation,
at least) is that unification is already more or less in
progress.  Of the "up to four" projects Jesus had seen reference
to, I know what's going on with at least three of them.

Hallgeir Bergum's project (the one at biophp.org) was to have
been a sequence annotation database, but due to circumstances
beyond his control he's been unable to work on it.

The other two are of course my own and Serge's GenePHP.  In essence,
we are two separate projects owing to the differences of approach,
but we're both nonetheless working towards unifying what we come
up with into a single "official" BioPHP codebase, even if our
own "personal" codebases and development styles are different.
(My personal goal right now, for example, is to combine the functionality
of Serge's original seq object and a bit of my own into a more
"object-orientationally correct" form - and hopefully make it
easy to interface with BioSQL tables at the same time.)

Serge and I both think that using PEAR for distribution would
be great, but neither of us (yet!) completely understand how
to make use of it, though I've been at least trying to stick
to PEAR coding standards and naming conventions as much as
possible.  I think PEAR is definitely in our future for
BioPHP distribution.

(Again, my interpretation of the discussion thus far - Apologies
to Serge and Jesus if I've mis-stated anything here...)

Public comments and suggestions are welcome.

Sean