[Biophp-dev] CVS overhaul

Nico Stuurman biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:20:40 -0700

I put some effort this weekend in PEARifying parts of biophp.  As a
consequence, a couple of classes have undergone substantial
rearrangements.  The most important is the Seq class.  All the
nucleotide specific stuff has been moved to the NucSeq class (extending
class Seq), and the protein specific things were moved into the
ProteinSeq class (also extending class Seq).  Thanks for suggesting
this very logical organization Can!

Functions/methods have been - when possible - moved into files in the
directory functions/ and are only included when needed.

An important change occurred in the method $NucSeq->translate().  The
variable $readframe used to be 0,1, or 2.  It has been renamed to
$frame and can be 1,2,3,-1,-2,-3 (which is the convention in biology).

I included the function hydropathy from Can in
functions/protein.inc.php.  I was confused by the two last variables,
which - I later realized - are only used to return values.  I guess I
would prefer to return an array holding the results as one or two
arrays.

To make it easier for people not familiar with cvs, I put the current
code for download at:
http://valelab.ucsf.edu:/~nico/biophpcvs.tgz
Also, the documentation generated by phpdocumentor is available at:
http://valelab.ucsf.edu:/~nico/biophpdoc/
Don't forget to click on the 'biophp' link on the right, which contains
the part I worked on.

If it is OK with everyone, I'll try to go through all classes and do
something similar with them.  We can then also move this outoff
directory 'genephp' up to the root level 'biophp'.

Best,

Nico