[Biophp-dev] Interface to LocusLink and Ensemble

S Clark biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:33:53 -0700

Sorry about the delay, just got back from another ~2500km drive for busines=
s.
There's got to be an easier way to make a living...

Actually, if it's JUST the ID numbers that you are looking for,=20
you MAY be able to get what you need with ESearch(possibly followed by an
ESummary call) - the modules for those in CVS SHOULD be working (when last I
tested it with a few different types of searches it seemed to be working,
anyway - this was unfortunately several months ago).

The "problem" with EFetch is that unlike ESearch and ESummary, there is
actually a large difference in the fields that each type of records uses,
so whereas with ESummary and ESearch it's reasonably feasible to use
the same parser for all queries involving all data types, it looks like
it's going to require writing a separate parser for each type of ESearch
record (pubmed, sequence, taxonomy, etc.).  I noticed when I looked into the
structure of the EFetch results record for sequences that there are (or at
least were) some quirks in the format that'll need to be worked around (e.g.
'double-nested' date fields).

It occurs to me that I've never gotten around to posting the EFetch/Esummary
(as well as the BLAST frontends and parser) outside of the bioinformatics.o=
rg
CVS server - I'll see if I can put those up somewhere 'normal' tomorrow.

If you haven't already run into it, the URL for the Entrez Utilities
("EUtils") information at NCBI is:

http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/eutils_help.html