[Biophp-dev] BLAST parser

S Clark mail-lists+biophpdev at dogphilosophy.net
Sat Mar 5 22:45:54 EST 2005

There is also one that I wrote, that is in the BioPHP CVS.  I don't know if
the way I implemented it will appeal to anyone else, but comments are
welcome.  It's used by the two BLAST frontends (one for the NCBI API online,
another for running a local copy of blast).

The needed files are in CVS here:

https://bioinformatics.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/biophp/sean/semi-official/frontend_blast.php
https://bioinformatics.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/biophp/sean/semi-official/ncbi_url_blast.inc.php
https://bioinformatics.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/biophp/sean/semi-official/ncbi_blast_parse_xml.inc.php
https://bioinformatics.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/biophp/sean/semi-official/support_modules/parser_xml.inc.php
https://bioinformatics.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/biophp/sean/semi-official/support_modules/postbox_class.php

(I believe that's all of them - it's been a very hectic last nearly-two-years
and I've not had time to look at them much in the meantime...)

Note that Nico also wrote an XML parser class (to go with his elink interface)
which I haven't had a chance to look at, but I suspect is probably a lot
simpler to use than mine - mine was designed with the intention of being very
portable (to use, just "extend" my core class into a class specific to the
type of XML data you're parsing) but is still somewhat laborious to use due
to what is probably a somewhat heavy-handed yet amateur "Object Oriented"
design (focus on using "interface methods" instead of direct access to the
data values means defining functions for each data field that you want to
retrieve...)

As always, comments and suggestions welcome.