[Genquire-dev] One genquire function might not work for a while...

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:58:28 -0600

Hi all Genquire users/developers!

I've been "fiddling" with one of the broken Genquire functions and am not
having the greatest luck with it, so I want to make sure that you all area
aware that it wont work properly:

From a right-click on the canvas you are able to "re-Cast" features into
various feature types (Exon, UTR, tRNA, etc).  This function is actually
buried in the SeqCanvas module, and is thus not database aware.  As such, any
re-casting you do will *not* be written into the database and might bugger you
up in the end!    For this reason I advise anyone using this feature to avoid
it for the next couple of weeks.  I'm going to try to fix it today, but as I
discovererd yesterday it is a bit trickier than I had originally thought (I
**hate** Tk Menu widgets!!).

If you are using SeqCanvas on its own (outside of Genquire) you will have no
problem - the bug is sitting in the communication between SeqCanvas and
Genquire, not in the SeqCanvas module itself.

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group
National Research Council of Canada