[Genquire-dev] lenght problem fixed

David Block dblock@gnf.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:01:22 -0800

On Friday, January 4, 2002, at 10:37  AM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> David Block wrote:
>
>> Remember, everything is a vector with start, direction and length? :)
>
> yeah, for the database... but I didn't think this was coded into our
> objects
> so tightly.  It doesn't *matter* so much, so long as people are aware
> of it.
>

>> You mean both undef and 0 are 'false' - they're not equal to each
>> other,
>
> yes, I mean they *behave* as if they are equal to each other!
>
> perl -e 'my $x; print "yeah" if ($x==0)'

perl -we may be more informative - perl sees the undefined value, and
casts it to zero - okay, I see your point.  Hmmm.  If you check for
defined $x, $x is undef, but if you check for ==0, it warns, then makes
it equal zero anyway.  DWIM gone too far?

Oh well.  Show me a perfect computer language...

> ...doesn't give me the response I had anticipated, since $x can come
> into
> the routine with a (valid) value of zero, or a null value of undef, and
> they
> mean different things w.r.t. the routine.
>

> do you mean every once in a while you say "wow", or do you mean that
> every
> once in a while it just works?  ;-)

Every once in a while I start Genquire up.  When I do, I say wow.

--
David Block          (858)812-1513
Bioinformatics        http://www.gnf.org