[Genquire-users] Re: [Genquire-dev] important update

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:18:40 -0600

Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Dave, I think we actually only need to put Gene and Transcript into the
> schema, because by default they are the only two container objects.

nix that.

I woke up in the middle of the night to realize that this statement is not
true because of limitations SeqCanvas
puts on what can be added to a gene:  Exon, Poly_A_site, Promoter, UTR.... by
name, case sensitive.

So... the list of required FeatureTypes and their container status is:

    Gene (Y)
    Transcript (Y)
    Exon (N)
    Poly_A_site (N)
    Promoter (N)
    UTR (N)

I'll update the Genquire docs accordingly, but these should probably all
become part of the init_db script, or part of the schema file so that this
rule is transparent to the user when they first start.

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson
Bioinformatics Group
National Research Council of Canada