[ghemical-devel] pkg-config?

Tommi Hassinen thassine@messi.uku.fi
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:59:49 +0300 (WET)

Hi Michael and everybody,

have you got any more information about that dynamic_cast issue yet? Next
week I'll probably install one RedHat9 system here, so perhaps that gives
some more information.

I would like to release a new version, say v1.60, soon, and that will be
the first one to have separate libghemical and ghemical packages. Yet
there is no proper detection where libghemical files are, but only /usr/local
prefix is assumed for both library and header files.

Perhaps the above stuff could be handled using pkg-config in future? To
use it one should only make a simple config file package_name.pc to
/usr/lib/pkgconfig. Then the pkg-config program could be used very much
like we use sc-ocnfig currently (pkg-config just is a generic program).
However there are some questions:

	1) is the install path always /usr/lib/pkgconfig and not
		/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig (for example)?

	2) what could be the best way of generating the libghemical.pc
		file (it's contents depends on prefix (and perhaps other
		settings as well) set in the configure script)?

I guess there should be a libghemical.pc.in file, and the configure
script would generate the final libghemical.pc file.

Regards,

	Tommi