[ghemical-devel] automake (was Re: pkg-config?)

Michael Banck mbanck@gmx.net
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:46:09 +0200

Hi again,

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:55:55AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:55:13AM +0300, Tommi Hassinen wrote:
> > > 3. Did you consider using automake?
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not familiar with this either. Could you briefly explain what
> > would be the benefits of automake?
>
> Well, you just tell automake 'These are the source files, these are the
> header files, these files would have to go into a tarball as well and
> please name the resulting library libghemical' and it will take care
> about the rest. Integrating libtool is easy for simple libraries like
> libghemical, so you'd get shared library support almost for free, you
> just need to tell libtool the library-version in configure.in.

OK, I've tried to automakefy libghemical. The appended patch does not
touch any existing files AFAICT, but I did not test a fresh checkout
yet. One basically has to run 'aclocal && libtoolize && autoheader &&
automake && autconf' in order to bootstrap the source. Of course, this
is only required by developers, users will just find a ready-to-go
./configure-script in their tarballs (make dist will do this).

Afterwards, './configure --enable-shared && make && make install' just
works, the library revision is 0.0.0 for the time being.

I did not care about pkg-config for the moment, consider this as a
proof-of-concept. The following files are obsolete now:
Makefile, Makefile.in src/Makefile src/Makefile.in src/libconfig.h.in
aclocal.m4 configure.in, perhaps some more.

bye,

Michael