[ghemical-devel] redhat 9 g++ has no dynamic_cast problems

Tommi Hassinen thassine@messi.uku.fi
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:20:21 +0300 (WET)

Hello!

Yesterday and today I installed our RedHat 9 machine, and after testing
both v1.00 and v1.50 versions I can tell that the RedHat 9 compiler

[thassine@shrike thassine]$ g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
PURPOSE.

has no problems dealing with dynamic_cast<>() statements. The both
versions work fine without any patching (like they are in CVS). I haven't
tried with --enable-mpqc yet but my guess is that it works as well.

So, as much as I know, the dynamic_cast problems with g++-3.2 appears to
be limited in different versions of Debian. I have tested so far:

	Mandrake-9.0		ok
	RedHat 8.0		ok
	RedHat 9.0		ok
	Debian "testing"	problems
	Debian "unstable"	problems

Any other observations of these dynamic_cast problems, anybody? Symptoms
are pretty clear: the program crashes when trying a "File/New" or
"File/Open" operation.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Michael Banck wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 03:46:09AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> 			^^^^^^^^^^
> > OK, I've tried to automakefy libghemical. The appended patch

Wow!  :)  Thanks! I haven't had time to look it yet, but I will this week
or the next one, and I'll try to apply automake in the new mopac7 library
as well.

This might be a dumb question, but you mentioned that aclocal.m4 is now
obsolete as well. So, how the use of automake will affect the "custom"
settings of the configure-script (for example the detection of sc-config
that we have and which works fine); can we still keep them as they are
now?

Regards,

	Tommi