[ghemical-devel] automake and MPQC ; Makefile.include ok?

Michael Banck mbanck@gmx.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:06:05 +0200

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 02:41:58PM +0300, Tommi Hassinen wrote:
> the automake stuff seems to work fine now in the normal case, but I had
> some trouble with the --enable-mpqc option of the configure script. I have
> a solution but tell me if you know it has any problems.

mpqc should just have a .pc file I guess.

> So at src/Makefile.am there was (and still is) a line
>
> 	libghemical_INCLUDES = -I$(top_builddir)/src @SC_CPPFLAGS@
>
> but it does not add SC_CPPFLAGS into the commandline. Looking at
> Makefile.in it is seen that CXXCOMPILE will contain all the stuff that
> goes into the commandline:
>
> 	CXXCOMPILE = $(CXX) $(DEFS) $(INCLUDES) $(AM_CPPFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS)
> 	$(AM_CXXFLAGS) $(CXXFLAGS)

Usually, this should just work and be easy in automake. I'm currently
again fiddling around with checking out CVS, because I can never figure
out which branch I should look at :-/

> I found out that a one way to add something in Makefile.in with automake
> is a Makefile.include file that is included at Makefile.am ; my
> Makefile.include is
>
> 	INCLUDES += @SC_CPPFLAGS@
>
> that adds SC_CPPFLAGS into INCLUDES and eventually into CXXCOMPILE, which
> is enough to make libghemical compile.

I don't think you absolutely need to include this file, can't you just
add the INCLUDES to Makefile.am directly?

> Then, linking the final ghemical executable has some other issues. It
> appears that only the static library has the MPQC code added ; perhaps
> that is how the shared libs are inteded to work but now the executable
> linked into libghemical.so won't contain all of the MPQC code.

Hmm, I think the Debian ghemical package is linked dynamically to libsc,
I'm not sure right now though.

Michael