[ghemical-devel] Compilation Errors / Autoconf Check

Michael Banck mbanck@gmx.net
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:59:35 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:32:16PM +0300, Tommi Hassinen wrote:
> Then, there are options. One could proceed with the HEAD version that
> uses bonobo components. As an idea it sounds great, but a year ago whan
> I wrote the initial version it was a problem that the documentation about
> bonobo programs was really limited in my opinion. And also glade did not
> support bonobo objects then, I don't know the current situation.

I got the impression that bonobo is rather getting phased out by the
GNOME people, e.g. bonobo controls for nautilus seem to be discouraged
these days. Having a component system is a nice idea, but just doing it
for one application does not make much sense, there should be a much
bigger picture being aimed at. gchempaint interoperability seems to be
there at least partially (haven't checked) though.

> Then an another option could be to convert the v2.00 into a gtk2
> program (if there seems to be no advantage in gnome2 libs). I see that
> gtk2 has advantage of being much easier to port than gnome2.

Porting ghemical to gtk2 looks like a reasonable first step, but it would
sadden me to see the GNOME part being dropped alltogether.

Michael