[ghemical-devel] Compilation Errors / Autoconf Check

Tommi Hassinen thassine@messi.uku.fi
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:50:16 +0300 (WET)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Jean Br=E9fort wrote:

> Bonobo controls are not discouraged as far as I know. Just part of the
> API must be rewritten because of some incompatibilities with the new
> gtk+ menus ans toolbars.
> Having a Bonobo control in ghemical seems a good idea. But I don't thing
> that ghemical itself should use it. My idea is that we should have some
> widget containing all ghemical views and embed them either in the main
> app or in a bonobo control. I think such a control could be embedded in
> gchempaint.

Hi,

when I was working with the bonobo version, I chose to make the "ghemical"
app just a small container app which shows a component that actually
contains the whole app. That seemed to work Ok, and it is good
because it also shows other developers how to use the component. So it is
like you described above.

Converting ghemical into a bobono component to be used by others and using
other components (like a spreadsheet component from gnumeric) in ghemical
are "two sides of a coin" and I hope both will work eventually.

> I don't know many things about molecular modeling (it was not available
> to the undergraduate students when I was one, only mainframe computers
> existed and time was much too expensive), but i can help with auto*,
> user interface and bonobo. Note also that the bonobo component is
> deactivated in gnumeric at the moment, but there are plans to
> reimplement it hopefully for 1.6 (1.4 should be shipped in october and
> 1.6 next year).

Ok, I'm sure the "bonoboized" ghemical will not disappear!  :)  I just
need to make the next stable release first and then decide should I
convert the next stable version into gtk2 or go on with the bonobo
version. Probably both ways I guess...

Regards,

=09Tommi