[ghemical-devel] Re: about versions and organizing tasks

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff at geoffhutchison.net
Tue Apr 11 09:53:01 EDT 2006

On Apr 11, 2006, at 9:17 AM, Michael Banck wrote:

> Oh, why that?  GTK+ is fairly portable in theory, and it provides a
> common look 'n feel at least on GNU/Linux.

GTK+ is even fairly portable in practice. There has been a long-
standing port to Win32, and there's a new port to Mac OS X which uses
native widgets.

> Otherwise, maybe reducing the GUI to a thin layer around the GL canvas
> and motivating people to write e.g. native Cocoa and Windows GUIs
> would
> make sense?

Maybe. I think it's easier to use GTK+ or wxWidgets or Qt to make a
reasonably good native GUI for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.

It's probably not a bad idea to minimize the amount of code required
to make the GUI. But considering the small number of developers right
now, is it better to work on one codebase and add functions and
improve it a lot. Or to add code on different platform GUIs that only
1 or 2 developers can test easily?

That's my $0.002.

Cheers,
-Geoff