[Guiblast-devel] Lets the fun begin

Sebastian Bassi guiblast-devel@bioinformatics.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:37:29 -0300

Hi,

I'm impressed with you all!. Lets hope all the individual talent could
be used for this project.
I will point the "things to do" or "roadmap", then I would like you to
take one of the task.

1-Installation script/program
2-Better/easier configuration and database setup
3-UI re-design
4-Pre-determined options.
5-??
6-Profit :)

1) The program should be installed as any Win32 program (under Windows)
or with a .py script under Linux. I think there is no rush for this now,
since the program still is far away from be usable enought.
2) This is important. There should be a pull down menu called "database
setup..." and should be able to select the path to the databse using a
standard open dialog box. If not possible, at least there should be a
config/ini file to setup database path, and NOT to ask the user to
change the sourcecode.
3) UI state now is just a "proof of concept". So there's a lot of room
to improve.
4) This is pure bioinformatics stuff: We could carefully choose a set of
pre-set options, like: lax search, regular and tight/specific. lax would
be a smaller word size and other parameters. The end user will have the
chance to change them and to define and save his own setting (and a
button to return to default state).
5) Any other idea?
6) Just kidding! The program is and will be Open Source (GPL). But GPL
can't stop anybody to sell it or offer consulting/instalation services,
as long as you distribute the source code.

Tell what do you think about all this and where do you want to work on.

--
Best regards,

//=\ Sebastian Bassi - Diplomado en Ciencia y Tecnologia, UNQ   //=\
\=// IT Manager Advanta Seeds - Balcarce Research Center -      \=//
//=\ Pro secretario ASALUP - www.asalup.org - PGP key available //=\
\=// E-mail: sbassi@genesdigitales.com - ICQ UIN: 3356556 -     \=//

                 http://Bioinformatica.info