[meltsim] methylation issue

Kevin Hollevoet kevin.hollevoet at ugent.be
Tue Aug 21 11:30:23 EDT 2007

Hi proffesor Marx!

i looked it up in the archieve, and found a question that concernded a
difference in meth of a C, so the CH3 group itself. but that is not
what we are using here. i'm sorry i didn't more specify the research
method.

i was planning on doing it with bisulphite modified sequences. in that
way meltsim would recognize the C>T differences, just like it would
give a different curve for any mutation or difference. so if we
analyze a methy seq, every C in a CpG stays a C, but onmethylated CpG
transform into TpG,

that way you can analyse the methylation status on the hand of the
melting curves. and find significant clustering in the difference
plots, some research has been done on this issue, (tomasz K. wojdacz
2007) but here they worked with fully methylated or fully onmeth
sequences, and mixed them to become a certain % of methylation.

but i 'd like to check if we can use HRM for a methylation status
check, even if the patron of methylation is somewhat heterogeneous in
cellines (what is sometimes the case is some of our NB samples). we
think this is not the case,and that it is impossible to become some
kind of significant clustering. so in some way say something else than
tomasz K. wojdacz  et all. and in order to give that idea some support
i' d lik to check this with some kind of simulation,

meltsim gave me already some impression with the melthpieks, but
normalized difference plots simulation would be better (that's the
reason of my last email of today)

i don't think i need extra parameters in meltsim for this kind of simulation?

but please, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!

kind regards,
kevin