[Molvis-list] "Exploring Protein", discovery- and Jmol- based with quizzing

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Wed Nov 24 15:48:47 EST 2004

At 11/23/04, April Bednarsky (Wash U St Louis MO USA) wrote:
>Hi Eric,
>I just wanted to say that we would definitely be interested in using
>the Jmol interactive protein structure tutorial you mentioned.  We
>would actually like to use something like that for both our intro
>course and our nonmajors course.  If you would like assessment data
>from us on using the tutorial, we would also do that!  When do you
>think this would be ready for testing in classrooms?
>April

Hi, April,

The earliest I imagine our new Jmol-based tutorial on basic protein
structure, named "Exploring Protein (EP)", would be testable would be fall
2005. That may be optimistic; we'll see how it goes.

In addition to having built-in quizzing, it will be discovery-based, rather
than transmissionist in approach -- to the extent we can pull that off. We
would be delighted to have you and others test it. I have no funding to
test it, as my existing NSF DUE funds will be consumed in making the
tutorial plus enhancements to Protein Explorer. I don't plan to get
significantly involved in assessment myself, as I think my time is better
used in development. I would be pleased if someone else applies for funding
for assessment of Exploring Protein and/or Protein Explorer or other
resources at MolviZ.Org, in which case I would be happy to be a consultant.

Of course, once we have something to look at, we'll make it available as a
beta through molvis-list, and ask for feedback and/or formative assessment.
That might be by late spring, but no promises.

-Eric

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://www.umass.edu/molvis/workshop
Biochem Structure Tutorials http://MolviZ.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://molvis.sdsc.edu/atlas/atlas.htm
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):

Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst MA US  413-545-2325/FAX 413-545-2532
               http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz