[Molvis-list] Bacterial flagellar hook: a molecular universal joint.

Eric Martz emartz at microbio.umass.edu
Sun Dec 19 16:05:32 EST 2004

In October, Samatey et al. in the groups of DeRosier and Namba, published a
crystal structure for the subunit of the bacterial flagellar hook. Guided
by a cryo-EM density they obtained for the entire hook, they then assembled
121 subunit chains into a model hook. Finally, they modeled rotation of the
hook by molecular dynamics. Their work provides a basis for beginning to
understand how the hook can be easily bent, yet transmit rotational torque.

Keiichi Namba kindly provided me with their atomic coordinates, and
permission to redistribute them. I have developed a number of animations of
the hook rotation process. Have a look at

http://molvis.sdsc.edu/atlas/morphs/flaghook/index.htm

This new flagellar hook page can be found

  1. At http://MolviZ.Org

  2. From http://proteinexplorer.org -- at the FrontDoor, click on the link
to "Morphs, Rotatable Animations" (decorated by the green and red EF-hand
animation).

  3. In Protein Explorer's Atlas of Macromolecules, under "Magnificent
molecular machines".

The flagellar hook page is not yet downloadable, but will be included in
downloads of a forthcoming release of Protein Explorer.

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Protein Explorer - 3D Visualization: http://proteinexplorer.org
Workshops: http://www.umass.edu/molvis/workshop
Biochem Structure Tutorials http://MolviZ.org
World Index of Molecular Visualization Resources: http://molvisindex.org
ConSurf - Find Conserved Patches in Proteins: http://consurf.tau.ac.il
Atlas of Macromolecules: http://molvis.sdsc.edu/atlas/atlas.htm
PDB Lite Macromolecule Finder: http://pdblite.org
Molecular Visualization EMail List (molvis-list):

Eric Martz, Professor Emeritus, Dept Microbiology
U Mass, Amherst MA US  413-545-2325/FAX 413-545-2532
               http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz